The Center for Family Support (CFS) mission is to provide support and assistance to individuals with developmental and related disabilities. We are the first agency in New York to achieve the Council on Quality and Leadership Certification (CQL). By achieving this certification, it shows our commitment and dedication to creating services that enhance and improve the quality of life for individuals with disabilities.
The Payroll Supervisor oversees Payroll staff, ensuring that all processes are executed appropriately and in a timely manner. Operates as the subject matter expert and escalation point to resolve issues and continuously looks for improvements in operational processes and designs and implements those initiatives. Optimizes the contribution of the team through coaching, counseling and implements workable solutions to business issues/problems with minimum referral to management. Conducts work planning, estimation and prioritization to optimize performance of team to define standards and reusable approaches for Payroll operations. This individual manages effective internal/external client relationships within own area of responsibility and builds client relationships in the wider group or unit.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop systems to process payroll multi-state (New York, New Jersey) account transactions (e.g. salaries, benefits, garnishments, deductions, taxes and third party payments, etc.)
- Oversee processing of payroll changes (e.g. new hires, terminations, garnishments, temporary workers, transfers, promotions) and system upgrades.
- Ensure compliance with relevant laws and internal policies
- Resolve issues and answer payroll-related questions
- Process manual payroll checks as needed.
- Supervise and coach Senior Payroll Specialist and payroll information specialist.
- Ensure team members acquire necessary skills and performance attributes, in line with business and personal development needs and agency policies.
- Perform and conduct staff annual evaluations
- Liaise with auditors and manage payroll tax audits
- Review and analyze payroll, benefits and tax procedures to recommend and implement changes leading to best-practice operations.
- Implement quality control measures.
- Collaborate with Human Resources (HR) and accounting teams to aligning and implementing integrated payroll and benefits synergies.
- Maintain accurate records and prepare reports, including weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.)
- Prepares pay by verifying time records; calculating and producing checks or electronic transfers; calculating and producing quarterly incentive bonuses.
- Reconcile payroll labor distribution reports to general ledger payroll accounts and resolving discrepancies; and or initiating journal entries.
- Review payroll federal and state income and social security liabilities reported by third -party payroll provider (i.e. Paychex/Paycom) for accuracy.
- Process and remit pension plan employee and employer salary deferrals on a timely matter.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Review Journal entries, Payroll distributions reports to general ledger per pay period, monthly, quarterly and annually for month-end, quarterly and year-end closing procedures prepared by subordinates.
- Other projects as assigned
Engage with finance and program staff to establish a professional relationship always.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- BSc/BA in Business Administration, Accounting, Human Resources or related field; professional certification (e.g. CPP, CPM) is a plus
- Proven experience as a payroll manager or similar role.
- Current knowledge of payroll procedures and related laws.
- Excellent understanding of multi-location payroll and taxes.
- Familiarity with payroll software/ HRIS (e.g. Paychex, Paycom) and MS Office (especially Excel)
- A keen eye for detail.
- An analytical mind and good math skills
- Demonstrated coaching/mentoring skills and issue management problem solving skills.
- Outstanding communication skills (written and oral).
- Organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to adapt to changing environment and support of multiple departments.
- Ability to analyze/interpret data and take appropriate action.
- Ability and interest in training other team members.
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from manager to accomplish objectives with strict attention to details
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees while maintaining confidentiality and thoroughness
We offer a competitive suite of benefits including comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401K, tuition reimbursement program and much more.
Please submit your Resume and cover letter for consideration to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CFS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, disability or veteran status, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws